With a few simple modifications plant pots, tubs or buckets make excellent containers for growing oyster mushrooms. This oyster mushoom growing kit contains 1.5 kg of pelletised cereal straw and 250g of oyster mushroom grain spawn. Unlike other kits, the straw doesn’t need to be heat treated (pasteurised), making it safer and easier to use. Simply mix the grain spawn with the pellets and add water. There is enough straw to fill a 10 litre plant pot or two 5 litre pots, tubs or buckets (not supplied).
Because the kit is supplied in ‘dry form’ this cuts down on the shipping weight making it more environmentally friendly. Most other kits contain at least 50% water and are a lot heavier so need more energy to transport.
It takes around a month for the first crop to appear, and then 3 more crops of mushrooms can be obtained yielding 1 kg (or more) over a 3 month period. Once the kit has stop producing it can then be used as spawn to create an outdoor mushroom bed using wood-chip or chopped straw or added to a compost heap where it will continue to produce mushrooms.
Four Different Oyster Mushrooms to Choose from:
- Yellow Oyster – growing temperature 15 to 24 deg.C. – Late Spring, Summer and early Autumn
- White Oyster – growing temperature 15 to 24 deg.C. – Spring, Summer and Autumn
- Grey Oyster – growing temperature 10 to 24 deg.C. – Can be grown all year
- Pearl Oyster – growing temperature 5 to 15 deg.C. – Late Autumn and Winter
- 1.5 kg straw pellets
- 250g oyster mushroom grain spawn
- 1 instruction sheet
The grain spawn can be stored for 3 months in the fridge prior to use and is supplied with a use-by-date.