Black Pearl really is the best of both worlds: the mushrooms are very much like King Oyster with the same firm texture, a soft edible stem with a mild ‘nutty’ taste.
Also, Black Pearl’s mycelium is adaptable and fast growing with colonisation times very similar to Pearl Oyster, so the same cultivation methods and substrates can be used making this strain much easier to grow than King Oyster:
- Cereal Straw, chopped and pasteurised or whole bails of straw
- Our user-friendly Straw Pellets
- Hardwood wood-chip and sawdust
- Spent Coffee Grounds
- Compost heaps
Black Pearl can be grown on both vertical and horizontal planes, and we have achieved the best results from indoor bag cultivation. Just one 10cm diameter cross-slit per 3kg of substrate produces a large cluster weighing up to 650g on 1st flush, 3 flushes are obtainable.
Ideal temperatures for fruiting are 12 to 18 deg.C.. Black Pearl Oysters require high humidity growing conditions to produce the best yields. This can easily be replicated by water misting every few hours during the early growth stage.
- Yield: 300g-350g per kg of substrate over 3 flushes
- Fruiting Temperature: 12-18 deg.C.
- Recommended bags for indoor growing: Super-Aerated Mushroom Grow Bag
- Availability: all year