Shiitake Versatile is ideal for growers who lack the equipment and knowledge to pasteurise or sterilise wood or straw based substrates. It can easily be grown using our Straw Pellets or wood-based pellets which are commonly available from pet stores or wood fuels suppliers.
Here is a method to grow indoors using Straw Pellets and our 50cm Super-Aerated grow bags:
- 1.25 kg of straw pellets mixed with 500g of sawdust spawn – break up the spawn and mix evenly with the dry pellets in a large clean tub (10 litre capacity preferably with a lid)
- Pour on 1.7 litres of water and leave to hydrate for 20-30 minutes (lid closed)
- Once hydrated transfer to the bag ensuring there are no air pockets and the straw is pressed against the bag walls, fold down and seal the bag
- Spawn Run (incubation): limit exposure to day light and keep the bag warm, 18-20 deg.C., also try to limit temperature fluctuations which will cause premature fruiting (an insulated cold box/bag is perfect)
- When the mycelium begins to brown the bag will be ready to produce, which usually takes around 4 weeks.
- Strip the entire bag carefully away and introduce indirect daylight (enough to read at arms length) and reduce temperatures to 10-15 deg.c.. Mist the block a couple of times a day to prevent drying.
- Primordia will begin to form 10-14 days later and the mushrooms will mature in another 5-7 days, mist twice daily to prevent drying